26 April 2013

Where are you from?

How can such a simple question lead to such trauma?  Not other people's trauma, but my trauma, trauma  to my well being. 

There are several answers I could give, each one correct yet wrong.  Taking the question literally I would answer, London, UK.  That is where I was born and raised, home for the first eighteen years of my life.  But the question is never just simply asking that, it is asking a lot more.  Locked away in that small question are numerous questions all being asked at the same time:  Where do you live?  What is your background?  What culture are you from?  Tenuously it is even asking 'what languages do you speak?'

Answering London, UK as I normally do leads to much more misinformation than answers.  Each encounter other than the most briefest of meetings inevitably ends up in a long monologue qualifying my answer giving my whole history right back to where my grandparents are from to answer that small, simple question.  In the end I actually end up disqualifying my own answer.

The monologue starts with the geographical location of my birth:  London, UK.  Then the fun begins... 'I was born and raised in London, UK in a predominantly Indian culture smattered with some East African and an ever increasing chunk of English-ness.  My parents are from Kenya and my grandparents (all of them) are from Gujarat, India.  I spent the first eighteen years (about 60%) of my life in London.  Due to university and work the following 20% was spent dotted around the UK (one has to differentiate London from the rest of the UK because for all intents and purposes London may as well be a separate country).  10% of my life has been spent travelling and expeditioning around the world and 10% has been in France.  The answer to where I am now living?  'Nowhere'. 

But no one wants a long answer to that question.  What is the short answer?  I don't know.  The dilemma! The trauma!  Maybe the only short, truthful answer I can give is exactly that:  'I don't know'.  Oh, but then more times than not I would be dubbed as a pretentious 'new-found-hippie-child-of-the-world'.  Any ideas?

Answers on a post(card) please...

1 comment:

  1. Tell them you are Swiss. Home is where your (sweet) heart is...

    ReplyDelete